Forking around with Mageia 5.1
Bobbie Sellers
2016-12-05 23:25:05 UTC
Hi readers and typers.

I just installed a copy of Mageia-5.1-x86_64-DVD.iso to my Dell E6420
test machine. Well it is quite a bit behind the times, its version of
Firefox is weeks old LibreWriter is months old and the
kernel is also behind time.

I had little problem with the installation over the stodgy
Fedora 25, next to PCLinux OS 2016.03 and 2016.07(KDE Plasma 5 preview).
I had to download a older version of Thunderbird and Kate. I still have
to download a copy of Krita.

The biggest problem was that I instructed the boot configuration
to set PCLOS 2016.03 as the default but it went ahead and made Mageia
5.1 the default.
The Installer looks just like the older Mandriva version and
was much easier to use than the Anaconda on Fedora. After using Synaptic
for months on the PCLOS the MCC software tools seem rather balky and
awkward.
At the end of the Install I did the update which amounted to
about 50 megabytes. As soon as I rebooted I got 31 updates.
The default menu is the classic menu, but when I added in my
second default panel it went to the launcher and I had to change
that back. Until I unlocked the widgets I could not add the menu
items to the task panels.

Some of the widgets are missing especially "Luna" which was on
the Mageia 5 iso file.

I will be doing further exploration and add to these notes if
i find anything of note beyond what I have above. Including the
exact version numbers of all the mentioned programs.

bliss "running fast and light" on PCLinuxOS KDE 2016.03-kernel 4.8.9
on my HP Pavilion notebook with 12 gibibytes of RAM and 700+ gibibytes
of hard drive and an AMD A10
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Pinnerite
2016-12-06 10:21:26 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Hi readers and typers.
I just installed a copy of Mageia-5.1-x86_64-DVD.iso to my Dell E6420
test machine. Well it is quite a bit behind the times, its version
of Firefox is weeks old LibreWriter is months old and the
kernel is also behind time.
I too have 5.1 installed on two machines. my main machine, that I am
writing on now is running fine. The other that had barely been
installed and was having a few applications run up was rebooted last
night and failed to complete the process. This morning I discovered
that it would do so under kernel 4.4.30! I do not have the time to
investigate further until later on.

One of this morning's updates was Firefox to version 45.5.1. I think
the packagers are doing a terrific job under difficult circumstances.

Alan
--
Mageia 5 for x86_64, Kernel:4.4.32-desktop-1.mga5