Forks - PC Linux OS 2016.03
Bobbie Sellers
2016-03-17 04:04:56 UTC
Hi readers and writers.

In case you had not heard the PCLOS 2016.03 is
out with (U)EFI compatibility. I read about it
in a small Notes section about updates and development
releases. We might still be in developmetn
I had some problems but got the simple KDE
version installed, It runs a 4.4 kernel version.
PCLOS copy to Flash Drive utility seems to be gone
but a procedure is given on site to make the iso
files compatible with USB FD the use of dd to copy
the hybrid iso to the Flash Drives I used a DVD to
do the install.
The Deluxe Mate version looks very nice.
The Full Monty version would not give me
a login. Will be trying this out on a higher
specced machine(Dell Latitude E6530) on which
previous versions of Full Monty just work fine.
If you are interested in this then
the root password is "root" and the guest's password
is "guest". If you want to install then use
the guest. I tried to use the root and it naturally
"could not copy root files".
On my Pavilion this was from a text login
after it started then startx to get to the desktop
to use the Install icon I tried choosing Install
from the Grub text but it lead me to the described
procedure.
I had problems and had to reboot to Mageia 5
to get to a root console or two where i ran
update-grub and since then I have realized it might
not have taken so long if I had disconnected my
external drives. Anyway I just choose my Mageia
root and get the PCLOS started from there.

Opinion: very nice but need bit more time in
the oven. I will try to keep my install updated
until I am sure it is stable.

bliss
Aragorn
2016-03-17 13:00:50 UTC
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 05:04, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
[...]
If you are interested in this then the root password is "root" and the
guest's password is "guest". If you want to install then use
the guest. I tried to use the root and it naturally "could not copy
root files".
Um, wouldn't it be the other way around? You normally need the root
account in order to install it to the hard disk, because the guest
account does not have full access.
--
= Aragorn =

http://www.linuxcounter.net - registrant #223157
Bobbie Sellers
2016-03-17 14:59:44 UTC
Post by Aragorn
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 05:04, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
[...]
If you are interested in this then the root password is "root" and the
guest's password is "guest". If you want to install then use
the guest. I tried to use the root and it naturally "could not copy
root files".
Um, wouldn't it be the other way around? You normally need the root
account in order to install it to the hard disk, because the guest
account does not have full access.
Not so apparently because we are talking about the root to
the Live distribution. The root account for the new install is
created at the end of the install.
Now with the Drakx install no root authority is needed
aside from BIOS setup to boot from your chosen media and turn
off (in)Secure Boot.
Please remember that I tried the Install from the root
account on the pclinuxos64-kde-2016.03.iso (written to DVD)
twice. Each time I got "cannot copy files to root partition".
Maybe I failed to mention that?

But Aragorn I invite you to try it yourself.
PCLOS does not take much space on your hard drive.
Your wiser eyes may find and report the problem
with far greater understanding. I am just persistent, as
a LUG member remarked recently (like a bad infection?).

bliss
Aragorn
2016-03-17 15:21:49 UTC
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 15:59, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
[...]
No, you didn't. I actually left it in with the quotes up above. ;)
It's just that it seems illogical to me, because root has read and write
access to everything.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
But Aragorn I invite you to try it yourself.
PCLOS does not take much space on your hard drive.
This I know, because I've used PCLinuxOS for several years (on a 32-bit
machine) before eventually switching to Mageia (64-bit) on this machine
here.

However, unfortunately I cannot currently test this, because there's
something wrong with the hardware in this machine ─ I suspect a faulty
SATA connector ─ and it doesn't even recognize my optical drive anymore,
and has very long delays on boot-up, both during the kernel boot and
during the machine's POST.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Your wiser eyes may find and report the problem with far greater
understanding. I am just persistent, as a LUG member remarked
recently (like a bad infection?).
Don't worry about what others think of you. I've stopped worrying about
that a few years ago already. ;)

Bobbie Sellers
2016-03-17 15:40:41 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
But Aragorn I invite you to try it yourself.
PCLOS does not take much space on your hard drive.
This I know, because I've used PCLinuxOS for several years (on a 32-bit
machine) before eventually switching to Mageia (64-bit) on this machine
here.
I used PCLOS on my old Compaq notebook in the 64 bit version.
When I had to buy a new machine I ended up with a UEFI Windows 8.1
Pavilion and had a lot of trouble with the UEFI and Windows 8.1.
Right now Windows is just taking up space on the hard drive but of
course will not boot even with Secure Boot turned on. But that year
PCLOS did not have a UEFI solution so I started using Mageia but
remain attached to drak tools and the MCC idea. Why those losers
at Canonical haven't borrowed it I do not know.
Post by Aragorn
However, unfortunately I cannot currently test this, because there's
something wrong with the hardware in this machine ─ I suspect a faulty
SATA connector ─ and it doesn't even recognize my optical drive anymore,
and has very long delays on boot-up, both during the kernel boot and
during the machine's POST.
Sorry to hear of that. I guess you have tried shutting down
and pulling and replacing SATA and power connectors?
Looked at your Power Supply lately?
Post by Aragorn
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Your wiser eyes may find and report the problem with far greater
understanding. I am just persistent, as a LUG member remarked
recently (like a bad infection?).
Don't worry about what others think of you. I've stopped worrying about
that a few years ago already. ;)
No but being a nurse(retired) when someones says I am persistent I
think of difficult infections.

bliss
Aragorn
2016-03-17 16:14:07 UTC
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 16:40, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 15:59, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following
to alt.os.linux.mandriva...
But Aragorn I invite you to try it yourself. PCLOS does not take
much space on your hard drive.
This I know, because I've used PCLinuxOS for several years (on a
32-bit machine) before eventually switching to Mageia (64-bit) on
this machine here.
I used PCLOS on my old Compaq notebook in the 64 bit version.
When I had to buy a new machine I ended up with a UEFI Windows 8.1
Pavilion and had a lot of trouble with the UEFI and Windows 8.1.
Ah yes, UEFI: the solution nobody wanted to a problem that didn't exist.
;)
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Right now Windows is just taking up space on the hard drive but of
course will not boot even with Secure Boot turned on. But that year
PCLOS did not have a UEFI solution so I started using Mageia but
remain attached to drak tools and the MCC idea. Why those losers
at Canonical haven't borrowed it I do not know.
Well, Canonical decided to strictly stick to Debian for its upstream,
and Debian doesn't have the drak* tools, of course.

Personally I must say that the drak* tools are among the best system
administration tools I've ever seen in any distribution.
RedHat/CentOS/Fedora is a joke in that regard.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
However, unfortunately I cannot currently test this, because there's
something wrong with the hardware in this machine ─ I suspect a
faulty SATA connector ─ and it doesn't even recognize my optical
drive anymore, and has very long delays on boot-up, both during the
kernel boot and during the machine's POST.
Sorry to hear of that. I guess you have tried shutting down
and pulling and replacing SATA and power connectors?
Actually, no the problem arose _after_ I had shut down the machine and
cleaned out the fans with a can of compressed air. I'm a smoker, and
this machine sits in a corner, right next to a wall, with the
ventilation holes in the case ─ and if it were lying on its side, above
the CPU heat sink and fan ─ pointed to the wall. There's about 8 cm
between the computer case and the wall.

The machine was beginning to shut down all by itself randomly ─ complete
power-off. It's an AMD machine. So I started monitoring the
temperature, and it appeared to go up to 98°C. So I disconnected all
the cables and opened up the machine, and sure enough, the whole thing
was filled with dust.

I used a can of compressed air to clean out the dust from the
electronics, and I cleaned out the ventilation holes in the housing's
sidewall with a brush, and gave the outer casing a good wash while I was
at it. I then put everything back together and reattached all the
cables, and that's when I started noticing the problem on boot-up.

The thing is that all of the above is not so easy for me to do. First
of all, this "desk" is actually a two-plane CAD/CAM table, so I have to
reach very far over to be able to attach the cables. Secondly and in
combination with the above, I am currently afflicted with a very painful
bilateral inguinal hernia again ─ I've already had surgery for that back
in 1998, and the doctors told me that I could never get it again. Well,
duh, oopsie, I just did.

Furthermore, I think I may also be developing cataracts. Well, it's
either that, or my blood pressure is simply messing with my eyes. But
let's just say that my vision these days isn't anymore what it used to
be.

And as if all of that is not enough, this room was pitch dark at the
time, because the ceiling light's ballast has burned out ─ it's a dual
halogen light fixture with the ballast mounted inside the metal housing.
I already had it repaired before (for the same reason), but it burned
out again within two weeks or so. Seems that this type of fixture
doesn't like the wall-mounted dimmer too much. So connecting all the
cables et al was a matter of really stretching my muscles, with nothing
to lean on ─ I've also got three, possibly four hernias in my lower back
─ while holding a flashlight in one hand and using my other hand to
manipulate the cables into their sockets and fasten the screws where
needed, e.g. for the DVI cable.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Looked at your Power Supply lately?
No, but I suspect that the PSU is still in good working order. It's a
fairly adequate one, and the problem only started occurring after I had
cleaned out the dust. The POST takes a long time, during the phase
where the BIOS is trying to enumerate the attached storage devices, and
during boot-up, the kernel mentions something about "ata4 is slow to
respond, please be patient". It does eventually boot okay, though, and
once booted, everything works smoothly.

I did however notice that the optical drive is no longer listed in the
BIOS boot options.

On account of PSUs, I still have a perfectly functional 800 Watt
CoolerMaster EPS-12V PSU sitting here, though. That PSU alone probably
cost more than the machine I'm typing this from.

(This here is just a shop-built PC with off-the-shelf components, which
normally came pre-installed with an OEM Windows 7 release, but I told
the guys to skip that as I'm not using Windows, and that made the
machine about 100 € cheaper. It's nothing fancy: ASrock motherboard, a
cheap and fanless ASUS nVidia video card, 750 GB SATA hard disk, a DVD
writer and a built-in multipurpose card reader with an extra USB
connector. It's about five years old now, and has worked perfectly fine
so far, albeit that I did have to have the motherboard and the hard disk
replaced under shop warranty after about a month, because both were
faulty. They didn't make a fuss about it, and I got my computer back
the next day.)
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
Your wiser eyes may find and report the problem with far greater
understanding. I am just persistent, as a LUG member remarked
recently (like a bad infection?).
Don't worry about what others think of you. I've stopped worrying
about that a few years ago already. ;)
No but being a nurse(retired) when someones says I am persistent I
think of difficult infections.
I've spent some time in nursing school myself, and gathering field
experience in the meantime. However, lately my contacts with the
medical and paramedical sector have mainly been from the other side of
the fence, i.e. as a patient.

Bobbie Sellers
2016-03-17 16:54:13 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
[...]
When I used to get into towers I would use a conductivity
solution on the connectors to make sure I had a good connection,
Started using the stuff in the 1970s on my high fidelity setup.
Used to apply it with a plastic needled syringe to keep from using
too much.
Post by Aragorn
The thing is that all of the above is not so easy for me to do. First
of all, this "desk" is actually a two-plane CAD/CAM table, so I have to
reach very far over to be able to attach the cables. Secondly and in
combination with the above, I am currently afflicted with a very painful
bilateral inguinal hernia again ─ I've already had surgery for that back
in 1998, and the doctors told me that I could never get it again. Well,
duh, oopsie, I just did.
You might need to rethink your workstation layout so that cables
et al are more easily accessible. Problems with getting into my Amiga
2000b-060 are neglected on account of my physical disabilities. I
switched to x86 laptops about 12 years ago and finding XP I got very
interested in Linux and was told Mandriva was the way for an Amigan
to go by a since deceased friend. Another Team Amiga pal finally
shipped me a DVD filled with the iso files for the 6 CDs I would
learn to make on XP.
Post by Aragorn
Furthermore, I think I may also be developing cataracts. Well, it's
either that, or my blood pressure is simply messing with my eyes. But
let's just say that my vision these days isn't anymore what it used to
be.
If you live long enough and do go outside that will happen. 12 years
back I was told in another 20 years I would need cataract surgery
and I believe them.
Post by Aragorn
And as if all of that is not enough, this room was pitch dark at the
time, because the ceiling light's ballast has burned out ─ it's a dual
halogen light fixture with the ballast mounted inside the metal housing.
I already had it repaired before (for the same reason), but it burned
out again within two weeks or so. Seems that this type of fixture
doesn't like the wall-mounted dimmer too much. So connecting all the
cables et al was a matter of really stretching my muscles, with nothing
to lean on ─ I've also got three, possibly four hernias in my lower back
─ while holding a flashlight in one hand and using my other hand to
manipulate the cables into their sockets and fasten the screws where
needed, e.g. for the DVI cable.
Well that is something I would put off and my physical condition is
only slightly better than yours. Did you do the post-operative
exercises after your hernia surgeries? You really
have to try to strengthen the abdominal musculature.not for a pretty
6 pack but to keep your guts where they belong but even body builders
get hernias from time to time.

Well it does not work too well but I use headlamps with LEDs run
from batteries to illuminate my work or search space. I have a light
here on articulated arm to deal with my desktop.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
Your wiser eyes may find and report the problem with far greater
understanding. I am just persistent, as a LUG member remarked
recently (like a bad infection?).
Don't worry about what others think of you. I've stopped worrying
about that a few years ago already. ;)
No but being a nurse(retired) when someones says I am persistent I
think of difficult infections.
I've spent some time in nursing school myself, and gathering field
experience in the meantime. However, lately my contacts with the
medical and paramedical sector have mainly been from the other side of
the fence, i.e. as a patient.
yes I just had a few sessions of therapy for my knees
which are mostly about strengthening the hips so that the hip
attached muscles and ligaments that strengthen the knee can
do that again. My knees are showing some improvement on exercises
done every other day.

Take care and good luck with the hardware.

bliss
Aragorn
2016-03-17 17:28:55 UTC
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 17:54, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
The thing is that all of the above is not so easy for me to do.
First of all, this "desk" is actually a two-plane CAD/CAM table, so I
have to reach very far over to be able to attach the cables.
Secondly and in combination with the above, I am currently afflicted
with a very painful bilateral inguinal hernia again ─ I've already
had surgery for that back in 1998, and the doctors told me that I
could never get it again. Well, duh, oopsie, I just did.
You might need to rethink your workstation layout so that cables
et al are more easily accessible.
Unfortunately, that is not an option at this point, for various reasons.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
Furthermore, I think I may also be developing cataracts. Well, it's
either that, or my blood pressure is simply messing with my eyes.
But let's just say that my vision these days isn't anymore what it
used to be.
If you live long enough and do go outside that will happen.
I don't go out all that often anymore these days.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
12 years back I was told in another 20 years I would need cataract
surgery and I believe them.
I've just checked the statistics, and it does indeed appear to be
affecting more than half of the people at some point in life. And I am
currently at the age where it would indeed start manifesting itself.
I'll be hitting 53 in about three weeks.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Did you do the post-operative exercises after your hernia surgeries?
You mean back in 1998? Because I have not had my surgery yet at this
point. I'm afraid my financial situation ─ I have to survive on a
disabilities income which sits way below the official EU poverty barrier
─ does not allow for that yet, especially not with some huge bills
coming up.

The first time I had a bilateral inguinal hernia, and had surgery for
it, the doctor actually told me _not_ to exercise at all, because it
could cause damage to the healing tissue. He even specifically told me
not to ride a bicycle ─ not that I own one ─ for the next three to four
weeks.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
You really have to try to strengthen the abdominal musculature.not for
a pretty 6 pack but to keep your guts where they belong but even body
builders get hernias from time to time.
They probably do, because the way they build up their muscles isn't the
natural way.

The hernias in my lower back are of course a very different thing. I've
recently seen a chiropractor for a number of sessions with regard to the
muscles in my chest and shoulders, and after examining my back, he said
he'd rather not touch those hernias with a ten foot pole. It was /that/
bad, he said.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Well it does not work too well but I use headlamps with LEDs run
from batteries to illuminate my work or search space. I have a light
here on articulated arm to deal with my desktop.
I may have to get me one of those too.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Take care and good luck with the hardware.
Thank you, Bobbie. :)

Bobbie Sellers
2016-03-17 18:49:05 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
Furthermore, I think I may also be developing cataracts. Well, it's
either that, or my blood pressure is simply messing with my eyes.
But let's just say that my vision these days isn't anymore what it
used to be.
If you live long enough and do go outside that will happen.
I don't go out all that often anymore these days.
I go out every day I do not have to rest to recover from
the exertions of the previous day or the storms are not too bad
to walk around.
Post by Aragorn
Post by Bobbie Sellers
12 years back I was told in another 20 years I would need cataract
surgery and I believe them.
I've just checked the statistics, and it does indeed appear to be
affecting more than half of the people at some point in life. And I am
currently at the age where it would indeed start manifesting itself.
I'll be hitting 53 in about three weeks.
Ah you are 25 years younger than myself. By the time I was 25
I had my first career behind me and was trying to make a living as
a nurse. In the long run that did not work our and by the time I
40 my nursing career was history. That is bi-polar in the age before
lithium became popular.
Post by Aragorn
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Did you do the post-operative exercises after your hernia surgeries?
You mean back in 1998? Because I have not had my surgery yet at this
point. I'm afraid my financial situation ─ I have to survive on a
disabilities income which sits way below the official EU poverty barrier
─ does not allow for that yet, especially not with some huge bills
coming up.
The first time I had a bilateral inguinal hernia, and had surgery for
it, the doctor actually told me _not_ to exercise at all, because it
could cause damage to the healing tissue. He even specifically told me
not to ride a bicycle ─ not that I own one ─ for the next three to four
weeks.
Well that was just after surgery but when the surgery was
healed you should have started on light exercises for the abdomen.
Post by Aragorn
Post by Bobbie Sellers
You really have to try to strengthen the abdominal musculature.not for
a pretty 6 pack but to keep your guts where they belong but even body
builders get hernias from time to time.
They probably do, because the way they build up their muscles isn't the
natural way.
No they forget to tighten the abdominal muscles when they pick
up something heavy, basically.

Depending on the individual it as natural or more natural than
sitting at a keyboard watching a screen with dependent legs for many
hours per day. But it uses a technique of resistance exercise that
has been understood since the Greeks started the Olympic celebrations.
Remember the story of Milo of Crotona?
It is observation of natural phenomena that led to modern day
training for whatever purpose. People who do stuff get stronger. If
the stuff they do only strengthens a small set of muscles they get out
of balance physically so everyone who can needs to exercise all the
parts of their bodies that they can.
With reopened hernias you will have to wait. With my
me/s.e.i.d. I can only do very light exercise. Even my 10 inch
tablet is too heavy for me to carry all the time. My load limit
is about 5 lbs these days. `
Post by Aragorn
The hernias in my lower back are of course a very different thing. I've
recently seen a chiropractor for a number of sessions with regard to the
muscles in my chest and shoulders, and after examining my back, he said
he'd rather not touch those hernias with a ten foot pole. It was /that/
bad, he said.
Herniated inter-vertebral disks are a surgical matter.
I am surprised that you have to worry about paying for medical
care. I thought the USA was the only modern nation without health
insurance for everyone.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Take care and good luck with the hardware.
Thank you, Bobbie. :)
And thank you for countless pages of good writing about
partitioning and other matters.

bliss
Aragorn
2016-03-17 20:19:53 UTC
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 19:49, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
I've just checked the statistics, and it does indeed appear to be
affecting more than half of the people at some point in life. And I
am currently at the age where it would indeed start manifesting
itself. I'll be hitting 53 in about three weeks.
Ah you are 25 years younger than myself. By the time I was 25
I had my first career behind me and was trying to make a living as
a nurse. In the long run that did not work our and by the time I
40 my nursing career was history. That is bi-polar in the age before
lithium became popular.
Well, I don't have bipolar and I've also done a great deal of different
things. I've even worked at the assembly line at the (then) General
Motors plants in Antwerp, as well as that I've worked as a janitor at a
super market and that I've driven a forklift and worked as a janitor at
a store that sold horseshoes and other related articles.

I've also worked in schools ─ administration and IT ─ as well as that
I've been an assistant in teaching IT-related and language-related
courses to adults, and my last job was in administration again for the
local Town Hall. ;)
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Did you do the post-operative exercises after your hernia surgeries?
You mean back in 1998? Because I have not had my surgery yet at this
point. I'm afraid my financial situation ─ I have to survive on a
disabilities income which sits way below the official EU poverty
barrier ─ does not allow for that yet, especially not with some huge
bills coming up.
The first time I had a bilateral inguinal hernia, and had surgery for
it, the doctor actually told me _not_ to exercise at all, because it
could cause damage to the healing tissue. He even specifically told
me not to ride a bicycle ─ not that I own one ─ for the next three to
four weeks.
Well that was just after surgery but when the surgery was
healed you should have started on light exercises for the abdomen.
Well, they certainly never mentioned anything of that nature to me at
the time.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Herniated inter-vertebral disks are a surgical matter.
Yes, but all doctors I've ever spoken to about this advise me to _not_
have surgery, because it could make things far worse.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
I am surprised that you have to worry about paying for medical
care. I thought the USA was the only modern nation without health
insurance for everyone.
Well, all non-self-employed people here do have to have a membership of
a health fund of their choice, and the health fund does pay back part of
the regular doctor's and dentist's visits, as well as part of your
hospital bills, but not everything by far.

You can get an additional hospital care insurance, which also doesn't
cover everything ─ there's a forfeit ─ and such an insurance is very
expensive, so I've never taken one. And if you have a certain recurring
condition, then they will not insure you for that particular condition.

We also don't have public health care. We used to have public hospitals
here ─ albeit that they were certainly not free (as in free beer) ─ but
that is no longer the case now. The government has ruled that all
health care should now be privatized, so all hospitals are private
corporations, and all doctors are self-employed professionals, even if
they're working for a hospital.

It goes even farther than that now. Newly graduated doctors and
dentists can't even start their own practice right away anymore. They
now have to work for several years as assistants of doctors who already
have their own practice. In addition to that, the costs of starting a
practice are now so high that most doctors now work in so-called group
practices.

My general physician for instance. It's a practice of four doctors (and
one temporarily helping out) with offices within the same building, and
they share their patient files, so if you make an appointment, then you
can end up with either one of them.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Aragorn
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Take care and good luck with the hardware.
Thank you, Bobbie. :)
And thank you for countless pages of good writing about
partitioning and other matters.
You're very welcome, Bobbie. It's nice to be appreciated, and I
continue to do what I can to help. ;)

Doug Laidlaw
2016-03-21 09:30:16 UTC
Post by Aragorn
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 05:04, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
[...]
If you are interested in this then the root password is "root" and the
guest's password is "guest". If you want to install then use
the guest. I tried to use the root and it naturally "could not copy
root files".
Um, wouldn't it be the other way around? You normally need the root
account in order to install it to the hard disk, because the guest
account does not have full access.
Either way, you go to a LiveCD screen with a link to install. No LiveCD
asks you to su to root first.
Doug Laidlaw
2016-03-27 16:09:52 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Aragorn
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 05:04, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
[...]
If you are interested in this then the root password is "root" and the
guest's password is "guest". If you want to install then use
the guest. I tried to use the root and it naturally "could not copy
root files".
Um, wouldn't it be the other way around? You normally need the root
account in order to install it to the hard disk, because the guest
account does not have full access.
Either way, you go to a LiveCD screen with a link to install. No LiveCD
asks you to su to root first.
And I have the 64-bit .3 release. It doesn't have UEFI. It may install
on a UEFI system.
Bobbie Sellers
2016-03-27 19:10:15 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Aragorn
On Thursday 17 Mar 2016 05:04, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
[...]
If you are interested in this then the root password is "root" and the
guest's password is "guest". If you want to install then use
the guest. I tried to use the root and it naturally "could not copy
root files".
Um, wouldn't it be the other way around? You normally need the root
account in order to install it to the hard disk, because the guest
account does not have full access.
Either way, you go to a LiveCD screen with a link to install. No LiveCD
asks you to su to root first.
And I have the 64-bit .3 release. It doesn't have UEFI. It may install
on a UEFI system.
Unless it is designed for a (U)EFI system it may break the (U)EFI
system if you install it there with other (U)EFI compatible
systems. For example I have PCLOS KDE 2016.03 installed on my
Pavilion booting from the Grub2 menu installed by Mageia 5.

If I try to install a non-EFI conscious system i.e.
a system designed to work with the MBR function it will break
my installation. I want to install Full Monty just to
learn about it and maybe break the Full Monty restrictions
because what I really want is a full KDE system with all
the tools installed but without that over-styled 6
screens and open drawers icons all over the screen.

I am just saying by the way that all the extra
graphic stuff is not to my taste. I like to work from a few
menus and icons on task bar style panels. So the 2016.03
UEFI version of Full Monty will not boot to a login on
my Pavilion but the old version from 2014.12 will boot
right up to a GUI login.

I hand carried the DVD I had burned for the Full
Monty version over to the friend house where for Friend
I had managed to install Full Monty 2014.12 on his
Dell E6410 Latitude and the new Full Monty booted up
fine on his box. We had kept the Dell install updated
so I left him the new DVD so that if a disaster happens
he or I can re-install with less updating to do in the
future. The Dell was originally a Window 7 machine
but the former owner gave it to Friend when it broke.
It has an EFI directory.

bliss
Bobbie Sellers
2016-04-24 04:15:50 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
==================================

Right here on my notebook!

Hi Typers and readers,
Got my Virtual Box install of Mageia 6dev1 running nicely on it
but for some reason I decided to move stuff over to
the PCLOS this afternoon and now we are cooking with gas!

It seems to boot faster than Mageia 5.

But the best things are the ease of setting up the Virtual Box and
LibreOffice5 oh and the fact it can use the (U)EFI and GPT.

Right on TexStar!

Maybe a few visits back to the Mageia 5 but maybe not.

Well in the meantime I will keep the Mageia 6dev1 updated.

It has kernel 4.6! Made it the default after I did
the updates. Had to do it all again in the last 24 hours due
to a dumb mistake on my part. It is a wonder i remember to
breath and eat.

bliss