Forking around - PCLOS news
Bobbie Sellers
2017-01-23 18:38:57 UTC
Hi fellow users of the Mandrake/Mandriva forks,

Found the following this AM in current Distrowatch weekly.
A post from the PCLinuxOS Twitter account suggests the project is
going to be doing some cleaning of its software repositories this year.
PCLinuxOS is a rolling release distribution, but tends to be conservative
when it comes to swapping out packages and changing the user interface.
The project's post reads, "Things going away in 2017: Legacy GRUB,
Legacy GDM and KDE4." At the time of writing, PCLinuxOS already has
KDE's Plasma 5.8 desktop available as a session option and GRUB2
(the replacement for GRUB Legacy) has been available to PCLinuxOS
users for over a year.
I thought you guys might like to know about this. Everyone knows I
prefer to use KDE's Plasma 4.14.18 if you have been reading
these posts.

bliss "running fast and light" on PCLinuxOS-2016.03 GNU-Linux
4.9.4-pclos1 x86_64
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Aragorn
2017-01-23 23:02:24 UTC
I've set the follow-up to the PCLOS and Mandriva groups, because the
Mandrake group has been dead in the water for many, many years already.
;)

On Monday 23 January 2017 19:38, Bobbie Sellers conveyed the following
to alt.os.linux.mandrake...
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Hi fellow users of the Mandrake/Mandriva forks,
Found the following this AM in current Distrowatch weekly.
A post from the PCLinuxOS Twitter account suggests the project is
going to be doing some cleaning of its software repositories this
year. PCLinuxOS is a rolling release distribution, but tends to be
conservative when it comes to swapping out packages and changing the
Legacy GRUB, Legacy GDM and KDE4." At the time of writing, PCLinuxOS
already has KDE's Plasma 5.8 desktop available as a session option
and GRUB2 (the replacement for GRUB Legacy) has been available to
PCLinuxOS users for over a year.
I thought you guys might like to know about this. Everyone knows I
prefer to use KDE's Plasma 4.14.18 if you have been reading
these posts.
bliss "running fast and light" on PCLinuxOS-2016.03 GNU-Linux
4.9.4-pclos1 x86_64
I'm still running (64-bit) PCLinuxOS 2014.04 here, with KDE Plasma
4.14.18. ;)
= Aragorn =
Doug Laidlaw
2017-01-26 05:38:37 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
I have just downloaded the "community" Xfce edition of
PCLinuxOS-2016.07. It has a well-chosen selection of tools
and applications.

Doug.

Aragorn
2017-01-26 13:40:35 UTC
On Thursday 26 January 2017 06:38, Doug Laidlaw conveyed the following
to alt.os.linux.mandrake...
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Aragorn
I've set the follow-up to the PCLOS and Mandriva groups, because the
Mandrake group has been dead in the water for many, many years
already. ;)
[...]
I'm still running (64-bit) PCLinuxOS 2014.04 here, with KDE Plasma
4.14.18. ;)
I have just downloaded the "community" Xfce edition of
PCLinuxOS-2016.07. It has a well-chosen selection of tools
and applications.
Don't forget to install "man". PCLOS does not install it by default,
albeit that it does install GNU info instead. ;)
= Aragorn =
Vince Coen
2017-01-26 23:42:35 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Aragorn
I've set the follow-up to the PCLOS and Mandriva groups, because
the Mandrake group has been dead in the water for many, many years
already. ;)
[...]
I'm still running (64-bit) PCLinuxOS 2014.04 here, with KDE Plasma
4.14.18. ;)
I have just downloaded the "community" Xfce edition of
PCLinuxOS-2016.07. It has a well-chosen selection of tools
and applications.
Don't forget to install "man". PCLOS does not install it by default,
albeit that it does install GNU info instead. ;)
Any other cons on using it ?

Would like to stick to using KDE as I do like the Kate editor for
programming but would really like to use MySql instead of the old and slow
Mariadb.

Vince
Aragorn
2017-01-27 00:59:14 UTC
On Friday 27 January 2017 00:42, Vince Coen conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Vince Coen
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Aragorn
I've set the follow-up to the PCLOS and Mandriva groups, because
the Mandrake group has been dead in the water for many, many
years already. ;)
[...]
I'm still running (64-bit) PCLinuxOS 2014.04 here, with KDE
Plasma 4.14.18. ;)
I have just downloaded the "community" Xfce edition of
PCLinuxOS-2016.07. It has a well-chosen selection of tools
and applications.
Don't forget to install "man". PCLOS does not install it by
default, albeit that it does install GNU info instead. ;)
Any other cons on using it ?
Not really, no. What's not installed can be downloaded from the
repository. ;)

PCLinuxOS 2014.04 is working quite well here at my end. Sure, there are
still a few bugs here and there in Plasma 4, but in overall, I'm quite
satisfied with it.

It's not the first time I give PCLinuxOS a try. Before I was using
Mageia, I had also already been running PCLinuxOS for several years ─
ever since my last Mandrake (proper) distribution, which was Mandrake
10.0, I believe ─ and PCLOS has always been a reliable and very decent
distribution. ;)
Post by Vince Coen
Would like to stick to using KDE as I do like the Kate editor for
programming but would really like to use MySql instead of the old and
slow Mariadb.
I'm using MySQL here ─ KMail2 uses it ─ and I've just checked to see if
it is MariaDB or MySQL proper, but it is definitely the latter. ;)
= Aragorn =
Doug Laidlaw
2017-01-27 02:08:40 UTC
Post by Aragorn
On Friday 27 January 2017 00:42, Vince Coen conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Vince Coen
Post by Vince Coen
Would like to stick to using KDE as I do like the Kate editor for
programming but would really like to use MySql instead of the old and
slow Mariadb.
I'm using MySQL here ? KMail2 uses it ? and I've just checked to see if
it is MariaDB or MySQL proper, but it is definitely the latter. ;)
--
= Aragorn =
I am ditching Cauldron completely, for the reasons I have stated so
many times before. I am keeping Mageia Official as my working system,
and installing the "community" release of PCLOS as my second system
to try out.

Doug.
Doug Laidlaw
2017-01-27 02:24:12 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
I am ditching Cauldron completely, for the reasons I have stated so
many times before. I am keeping Mageia Official as my working system,
and installing the "community" release of PCLOS as my second system
to try out.
Doug.
--
That is, if my system can find PCL's bootloader!