Forks Again - Open MandrivaLx 3.0 Plasma Out!
Bobbie Sellers
2016-08-15 17:58:52 UTC
Hi Typers and Readers,

On Distrowatch on Saturday AM we had OpenMandrivaLx 3.0 out in
i586 and in x86_64. Since have verified checksums and written them
to disk.
I got a big update of over 500 files on my OpenMabdrivaLx 3.0-RC-1
x86_64 install on the Dell e6420 in the last couple of days so my
install may have been upgraded but in a few minutes I will go and test that.

Well unexpected lack in the Einsteinium installer in that it has no
upgrade option. It had nothing to do on my system.
The partition tool called by the installer lacks a "label" option.

KDE's Plasma 5.7.x is missing valued widgets and plugins.

Otherwise it runs ok.
It falls short of the original Mandriva.

I wish they had waited for the KDE Plasma 5.8-LTS but then
you would have had to wait on this article until late fall.

I will do a clean install in the next week or so then see if
this article needs amendment.

bliss
Doug Laidlaw
2016-08-17 12:17:09 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
I keep installing other distros and staying with Mageia.
Is plasma 5 more than usable? Even the reviews say
it isn't.
Bobbie Sellers
2016-08-17 14:56:30 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
Whether you consider Plasma 5 usable depends on how you have been using
KDE's Plasma interface in the past. If a reviewer uses
Gnome habitually or anything but KDE's Plasma in the past they may
not realize the subtle shortcomings of the unfinished Plasma 5.

I will reiterate other desktop management software falls short
in comparison with KDE's desktop management. The digital clock display
fall short, the plugins for KDE's editors are missing "insert file" if
nothing else, a tool I use every week or more often. Several of the
widgets have disappeared, the digital clock widget which comes installed
is no longer capable of being directly copied to the clipboard in
several formats such as Wednesday, August 17, 2016 or Wednesday, August
17, 2016 07:10:48 AM or even 2016-08-17 07:11:23 AM or simply
2016-08-17. Can you guess I use this every day? And I use several
formats frequently during the course of the day.

I am not sure but I think that KDE's desktop interface is the
only one with such utility. I don't see it at all except in Mate where
you can copy the time or the date from the desktop clock.

I do not have to switch from KDE's "KDE - Be Free!
Platform Version 4.14.18" as I can continue to run whichever
distro in a Virtual Box with some other up-to-date system
providing the base. I don't want to do that because that
will double the complications of using a system.

I would much rather that the KDE people would pay
attention to the details and finish their new Plasma desktop
management interfaces. And of course anyone is free to use
whatever distribution answers their needs best. My needs are
perhaps different than those of other folks as I am a rotten
typist with dyspraxia making the need for frequent corrections
very likely. The only reason that I seem better is the
spell checker and the slowness with which I proceed at 07:54 AM.

bliss
Bobbie Sellers
2016-09-22 17:50:53 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
` Today I installed 3 updates to OpenMandriva Lx and tried to
use VLC to watch a show, VLC did not find the codecs so I copied them
to my micro-SDcard and installed them using MC, according to the
enclosed instructions but it still could not find the required codec.
The sound seems choppy as well.

I gave up on it for a while.
bliss
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com