see PCLinux OS 2016.03 run
Bobbie Sellers
2016-10-17 17:02:36 UTC
right here on my notebook!
Hi Typers and readers,
Got my Virtual Box install of Mageia 6dev1 running nicely on it
but for some reason I decided to move stuff over to
the PCLOS this afternoon and now we are cooking with gas!
It seems to boot faster than Mageia 5.
But the best things are the ease of setting up the Virtual Box and
LibreOffice5 oh and the fact it can use the (U)EFI and GPT.
Maybe a few visits back to the Mageia 5 but maybe not.
bliss
So about 5 months now under PCLOS 2016.03 which has
been kept fully updated.

No real problems and with some cunning moves I updated to
kernel 4.8.1 today on the Pavilion here and have 4.8.2 running on
the Dell. Cunning moves, Grub-organizer could not write the
grub.cfg. I booted to root. used MC to delete the old file
and Dolphin to rename the grub.cfg.new to grub.dfg.
Did not have to do those cunning moves on the Dell
which does not have a UEFI firmware but BIOS and GPT.

bliss
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Bobbie Sellers
2016-10-19 15:44:42 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
right here on my notebook!
Hi Typers and readers,
Got my Virtual Box install of Mageia 6dev1 running nicely on it
but for some reason I decided to move stuff over to
the PCLOS this afternoon and now we are cooking with gas!
It seems to boot faster than Mageia 5.
But the best things are the ease of setting up the Virtual Box and
LibreOffice5 oh and the fact it can use the (U)EFI and GPT.
Maybe a few visits back to the Mageia 5 but maybe not.
bliss
So about 5 months now under PCLOS 2016.03 which has
been kept fully updated.
Mageia 6sta fell over on every update and I wiped it
off the disk.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
No real problems and with some cunning moves I updated to
kernel 4.8.1 today on the Pavilion here and have 4.8.2 running on
the Dell. Cunning moves, Grub-organizer could not write the
That should be grub-customizer not organizer
Post by Bobbie Sellers
grub.cfg. I booted to root. used MC to delete the old file
and Dolphin to rename the grub.cfg.new to grub.cfg.
Was mistyped "grub.dfg" but is now corrected above.
I guess I used up all my critical intelligence
Monday on the described operation with none left for checking
my typing.
Post by Bobbie Sellers
Did not have to do those cunning moves on the Dell
which does not have a UEFI firmware but BIOS and GPT.
bliss
And I did do the update on the Pavilion to 4.8.2.

bliss
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-25 21:38:22 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
No real problems and with some cunning moves I updated to
kernel 4.8.1 today on the Pavilion here and have 4.8.2 running on
the Dell. Cunning moves, Grub-organizer could not write the
grub.cfg. I booted to root. used MC to delete the old file
and Dolphin to rename the grub.cfg.new to grub.dfg.
Did not have to do those cunning moves on the Dell
which does not have a UEFI firmware but BIOS and GPT.
So 2016.06 was a backward step?
--
Mageia release 6 for x86_64 running 4.8.1-desktop-1.mga6 with DE=Xfce
I agree with no man's opinions. I have some of my own.
--Turgenev, "Fathers and Sons."
Bobbie Sellers
2016-10-25 22:33:17 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Bobbie Sellers
No real problems and with some cunning moves I updated to
kernel 4.8.1 today on the Pavilion here and have 4.8.2 running on
the Dell. Cunning moves, Grub-organizer could not write the
grub.cfg. I booted to root. used MC to delete the old file
and Dolphin to rename the grub.cfg.new to grub.dfg.
Did not have to do those cunning moves on the Dell
which does not have a UEFI firmware but BIOS and GPT.
So 2016.06 was a backward step?
As far as I know 2016.06 was a preview of the KDE's Plasma 5
that was superseded by 2016.07 preview.

By the way I got a load of KDE updates so they have not stopped
working on KDE's Plasma 4.
Since then I have from my user account brought up a root terminal, ran
Synaptic to make sure I had all the bits and pieces. did
my kernel update and either ran update-grub, looked at the output
then finding that grub.cfg had not been replaced, started up Dolphin
from the root terminal and renamed grub.cfg to Xgrub.cfg, then
renamed grub.cfg,new to grub.cfg and rebooted.

Meantime my new Linux user has managed to do the update herself
proving I configured her old but refurbished tower better than I did
my Pavilion notebook nearly two years ago,
By the way the current kernel in PCLOS is 4.8.4-pclos1
which is doing just fine on both my production machine and on my
Dell E6420(salvage).
I intend to install an older version of PCLOS Mate a community
release from 10/15 that is less than 500 megabytes.
I find the interface of the older version quite attractive
and reminiscent of Amiga OS 3.1. I will check as to how far this can
be updated. I am going to try to produce a more civilized utility
disk for recovery and for disk partitioning.

later
bliss
--
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com