Just forking around with OpenMandrivaLx_3beta1.x86_64.iso
Bobbie Sellers
2016-04-09 05:54:35 UTC
hi fans of the draktools,

Well I tried to boot up a DVD written this afternoon of
OpenMandrivaLx_3beta1.x86_64.iso. This strangely enough uses
KDE's Plasma 5 and Wayland rather than X.

From Grub2 it would not complete the boot on my Pavilion.
I fell asleep waiting for it.
From the non-uefi menu it booted but seemed very slow
and unstable putting a lot of stress on my AMD A10 4 core processor.
according to the heat I felt coming thru the vents.
Once it was up it was no champion and while the Plasma 5
is colorful it represents no particular advance. The screen
felt quite unstable.

I may try to get it running on VirtualBox but am in no
hurry to try it again.
More about this later.

But I have to say I feel it is in the same league as
the Mageia-6-dev1-x86_64-DVD.iso. Some distance from a
distribution release.

bliss
Doug Laidlaw
2016-04-09 08:07:49 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
hi fans of the draktools,
Well I tried to boot up a DVD written this afternoon of
OpenMandrivaLx_3beta1.x86_64.iso. This strangely enough uses
KDE's Plasma 5 and Wayland rather than X.
From Grub2 it would not complete the boot on my Pavilion.
I fell asleep waiting for it.
From the non-uefi menu it booted but seemed very slow
and unstable putting a lot of stress on my AMD A10 4 core processor.
according to the heat I felt coming thru the vents.
Once it was up it was no champion and while the Plasma 5
is colorful it represents no particular advance. The screen
felt quite unstable.
I may try to get it running on VirtualBox but am in no
hurry to try it again.
More about this later.
But I have to say I feel it is in the same league as
the Mageia-6-dev1-x86_64-DVD.iso. Some distance from a
distribution release.
bliss
I just noticed it as the newest listing on DistroWatch.
Wayland is supposed to be the future. RebeccaBlackOS
on SourceForge is pure Wayland, and now offers a choice
of desktops. It is a much fuller distro than Hawaii or whatever,
although Hawaii is a DE, and is one of the alternatives.

Doug.