Chapeau Linux
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-07 23:52:55 UTC
A fork of Fedora from England, so not a fork of Mandriva. One man's
personal distro with his choice of packages from Fedora's "PLF", the
ones excluded from Fedora itself. Now at Release 24, so it must be
popular. http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09574 Live DVD looks good, but
I haven't installed it yet. Generally I can't come to grips with Fedora.

Doug.
--
Mageia release 6 for x86_64 running 4.7.6-desktop-1.mga6 with DE=Xfce
I agree with no man's opinions. I have some of my own.
--Turgenev, "Fathers and Sons."
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-08 12:05:09 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
A fork of Fedora from England, so not a fork of Mandriva. One man's
personal distro with his choice of packages from Fedora's "PLF", the
ones excluded from Fedora itself. Now at Release 24, so it must be
popular. http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09574 Live DVD looks good, but
I haven't installed it yet. Generally I can't come to grips with Fedora.
Doug.
It is very user-friendly, once I get rid of the Gnome3 desktop.
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-09 03:35:44 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
--
Mageia release 6 for x86_64 running 4.7.6-desktop-1.mga6 with DE=Xfce
I agree with no man's opinions. I have some of my own.
--Turgenev, "Fathers and Sons."
--
No, it isn't. It is Windows for Linux users.
The updater stopped if it lost the focus

Doug.
Aragorn
2016-10-09 03:53:56 UTC
On Sunday 09 Oct 2016 05:35, Doug Laidlaw conveyed the following to
alt.os.linux.mandriva...
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
A fork of Fedora from England, so not a fork of Mandriva. One man's
personal distro with his choice of packages from Fedora's "PLF", the
ones excluded from Fedora itself. Now at Release 24, so it must be
popular. http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=09574 Live DVD looks good,
but I haven't installed it yet. Generally I can't come to grips
with Fedora.
It is very user-friendly, once I get rid of the Gnome3 desktop.
No, it isn't. It is Windows for Linux users.
<sarcasm>

But but but, I thought Windows was so much better, Doug? Wasn't
Windows what you were looking for, then?

</sarcasm>
Post by Doug Laidlaw
The updater stopped if it lost the focus
Updating required a reboot, so the updates could be installed prior to
login, a la Windows.
There was a Windows-style dialog to collect email sources, but Heaven
knows how I am supposed to access them!
I won't be moving from Mageia. I will still look at OpenMandriva, if
they ever get it to work properly!
OpenMandriva is using Mageia as its upstream now. But if you want an
alternative to Mageia that is still Mandrake/Mandriva-based in terms of
their tools, then check out PCLinuxOS.

It's been a while since I've run PCLinuxOS, but my experiences with it
were pretty good. They still use .rpm packages, but with Debian's
package management system and the excellent Synaptic package manager
GUI. It also comes with all of the familiar "Drak Tools", including
msec, diskdrake, XFdrake, userdrake et al.

Oh, and it's still systemd-free. Now there's a bonus if there ever was
one! :p
= Aragorn =
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-09 13:16:45 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
[...]
_Real_ Windows is O.K. Neither is "better." Trying to run a
Windows program
on Linux, or a Linux program in Windows, is a compromise, and it
always
will be. Pinnerite can't run his business without Windows.
Neither could I,
when I was in business.

Yes, I downloaded PCLinuxOS, the release before the one bliss reviewed.
I went to it today. See my comments at the end of bliss's thread.
I am sure
that Texstar can do better than what I saw. The updates issue has
nothing
to do with Synaptic. Mint uses Synaptic, and its updates come
down. There
is a bug in Mint 17's updater, that regularly produces error
messages. It is
still there in the current release 18. I installed two versions
of Skywave Linux,
an Ubuntu clone loaded with radio communication programs. It
doesn't like my
video card, and there seems to be no way to start it in "simple
graphics" mode,
as I could with Chapeau, or just about any other distro. Only
Mageia has the lot.
I only hope that Mageia puts out something soon, before all its
followers look
elsewhere.

Doug.
William Unruh
2016-10-09 14:41:26 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
[...]
If Mageia puts out crap, or something that crashes or is unuseable,
those followers WILL leave rapidly. KDE5/Plasma seems to be a mess
apparently, and the KDE people refuse to fix anything in KDE4, so the
Mageia team are caught with legs on either side of a razor blade
fence.
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-21 12:48:20 UTC
Post by William Unruh
If Mageia puts out crap, or something that crashes or is unuseable,
those followers WILL leave rapidly. KDE5/Plasma seems to be a mess
apparently, and the KDE people refuse to fix anything in KDE4, so the
Mageia team are caught with legs on either side of a razor blade
fence.
Where can they go? It is the same KDE everywhere.

Bobbie Sellers
2016-10-21 14:53:41 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by William Unruh
If Mageia puts out crap, or something that crashes or is unuseable,
those followers WILL leave rapidly. KDE5/Plasma seems to be a mess
apparently, and the KDE people refuse to fix anything in KDE4, so the
Mageia team are caught with legs on either side of a razor blade
fence.
Where can they go? It is the same KDE everywhere.
KDE 4.14.18 on PCLinux OS 2016.03 with Linux localhost\
4.8.3-pclos1 #1 SMP Thu Oct 20 15:11:10 CDT 2016 x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux, seems pretty sound to me.
Yes certain parts have been neglected and there are
problems with parts of all systems as well as KDE/Gnome/Mate.
BTW the 4.8.3 kernel fixes an issue of long standing with
the Copy While Write problem,

KDE 5.x at my last sighting was still a mess, If I ever
use it it in its present space will be so that I can run a VB with a
lighter weight Mandrake/Mandriva fork with a KDE 4,14.version.
KDE 5 has some good features but I do not need a display
of program icons to make me feel familiar with the system (if i
started from a tablet or the Metro interface). The choice of edit
on the listed items in Clipboard is nice too,

I sincerely hope Mageia can pull a finished next release together soonest.

bliss
bliss dash SF 4 ever at dslextreme dot com
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-09 13:26:30 UTC
Post by Aragorn
OpenMandriva is using Mageia as its upstream now.
And Mageia is in turn based on Fedora, with input from Red Hat, who want
to be like Windows to capture the business users. Even OpenSuse
isn't as close to Windows as Fedora. OpenSuse is probably still my
second choice.

DistroWatch says that Openmandriva is based on Rosa, but I saw a mention
some time ago in the Mageia blog, of a partnership with Mageia.
The different versions of RPM were the main stumbling-block.

BTW, Chapeau found all my non-POP mailing lists, but had no email client.
Win 10 has an email client, but can't import my mailing lists. Which is
better? And Microsoft is now developing its own Linux distro.

Doug.
--Turgenev, "Fathers and Sons."
Doug Laidlaw
2016-10-21 12:51:01 UTC
Post by Doug Laidlaw
Post by Doug Laidlaw
The updater stopped if it lost the focus
Updating required a reboot, so the updates could be installed prior to
login, a la Windows.
There was a Windows-style dialog to collect email sources, but Heaven
knows how I am supposed to access them!
I won't be moving from Mageia. I will still look at OpenMandriva, if
they ever get it to work properly!
OpenMandriva is using Mageia as its upstream now.
Maybe that is why OpenMandriva can't produce a fully functional
distro either!